We can help you take the next step!
Center for EcoTechnology (CET) is excited to have shared our experience and information at the Midwest Food Recovery Summit in Des Moines in the fall of 2018. The Iowa Waste Reduction Center at the University of Northern Iowa has many great resources including information CET has shared with the Center.
Helpful Iowa Wasted Food Resources
- Resources for Wasted Food Diversion
- Iowa Waste Reduction Center provides on-site technical assistance to small businesses, municipalities, and public organizations interested in food waste prevention and reduction services. Resources are also available online on the IWRC’s website and includes regulatory information, case studies, fact sheets, training guides, videos, and posters.
- Food Waste Reduction in School Meals
- Iowa Department of Education, Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals, Iowa Department of Natural Resources, and Iowa State University Extension & Outreach partnered to create various resources to help schools reduce and recover wasted food in the cafeterias. Resources include share table fact sheets, a food waste minimization toolkit, and guides to conducting food waste audits.
- Solid Waste Permitting for Compost
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources website includes state laws and rules for composting, reporting documents, and food waste fact sheets.
- Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act
- The Federal Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act (Public Law 104-210) protects donors from liability when donating to nonprofit organizations and protects donors from civil and criminal liability should the product, donated in good faith, later cause harm to the needy recipient.
Iowa Legal/Regulatory Requirements
- Currently, Iowa does not have any laws on wasted food diversion.
For more information regarding food waste estimates, source separation guidance, and how to start a food donation program, open CET’s Toolbox.
TAKE THE NEXT STEP, CONTACT US!
Contact CET to learn more about food recovery and waste diversion opportunities for your business, institution, customers, or association members: