We can help you take the next step!
The Center for EcoTechnology (CET) is building relationships in Ohio with stakeholders that are interested in addressing wasted food. With support from EPA Region 5, we have shared information with Ohio’s Southwest Solid Waste Management Districts and are partnering on projects to increase the capacity to address this important issue. As a component of this project, CET hosted the Wasted Food Strategies for Institutional Kitchens and Wasted Food Strategies for Food Manufacturers and Retailers virtual workshops to share tips and best practices for addressing wasted food.
To learn more about CET’s work in Ohio and to get involved, contact CET today at 888-813-8552 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Helpful Ohio Wasted Food Resources
- Ohio EPA Food Scraps Recovery Initiative
- This webpage provides a list of food banks in the state, tips for composting at home, grant opportunities, and composting regulations. As an added resource, the Ohio EPA has created a Food Waste Map that identifies the location of composting programs in state. Additional grant opportunities from the Ohio EPA are available through its Recycling and Litter Prevention Program.
- Ohio Association of Food Banks
- This network assists Feeding America foodbanks in Ohio to connect people in need to food and other resources, and includes links to foodbanks, food pantries, and soup kitchens in the state.
- Food Recovery Network- Ohio Chapters
- With chapters located at colleges in communities around Ohio, this resource highlights the efforts of participants who are reducing food waste in campus communities.
- Organics Recycling Association of Ohio
- Supporting growth in the organics recycling industry, this network encourages educational and networking opportunities. The website includes an Ohio Compost Facility Training manual, upcoming events, and links to grant opportunities. The organization also formed a chapter of the US Composting Council, the Ohio Organics Council of the US Composting Council.
- Ohio Sustainable Business Council Food Waste Reduction Resources
- Focusing on prevention, reuse, and composting, this site provides links to resources and organizations that support Ohio businesses in reducing and redirecting wasted food.
- Hamilton County Resource
- Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio (SWACO)
- The Central Ohio Food Waste Initiative: Save More than Food raises awareness about the issue of food waste with a goal of cutting food waste in half by 2030. Food Businesses can review a wide variety of resources shared through this initiative, ranging from how to engage staff and measure food waste to tips for donating edible food. The At School resources include lesson plans, activities, toolkits and more to support food recovery and diversion.
- Ohio State University Food Waste Collaborative
- Comprised of students, researchers, and practitioners, this collaborative addresses food waste reduction as a component of a healthy, sustainable food system.
- Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act
- The Federal Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act (Public Law 104-210) protects donors from liability when donating to nonprofit organizations and protects donors from civil and criminal liability should the product, donated in good faith, later cause harm to the needy recipient.