We can help you take the next step!
The Center for EcoTechnology (CET) is building relationships in Michigan with some stakeholders that are interested in addressing wasted food. We have shared information with the West Michigan Sustainable Business Alliance and are exploring partnering on projects to increase the capacity to address this important issue.
Helpful Michigan Wasted Food Resources
- Assistance to Businesses
- Western Michigan Sustainable Business Forum (WMSBF) launched the Western Michigan Food Recovery Council which offers networking events, and educational programs to commercial and institutional facilities seeking food waste reduction and recovery options.
- Composting in Michigan
- Michigan Organics Council, a chapter of the US Composting Council, brings together statewide composting interests such as best practices for processing and utilization of end products.
- Composting Information and Regulations
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality offers compost operating training presentations, guidebook, and regulations.
- Donate Food with Feeding America-Western Michigan
- Feeding America-Western Michigan provides guidance on how to donate food and business spotlights.
- Helpful fact sheets on food donation laws from the Harvard Food Law and Policy Clinic
- Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act
- The Federal Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act (Public Law 104-210) protects donors from liability when donating to nonprofit organizations and protects donors from civil and criminal liability should the product, donated in good faith, later cause harm to the needy recipient.
Michigan Legal/Regulatory Requirements
- Currently, Michigan does not have any laws on wasted food diversion.
For more information regarding food waste estimates, source separation guidance, and how to start a food donation program, open CET’s Toolbox.
TAKE THE NEXT STEP, CONTACT US!
Contact CET to learn more about food recovery and waste diversion opportunities for your business, institution, customers, or association members: